What can I do if I am trying to locate my deceased father’s Will?

He died 40 years ago and was USAF. Tried contacting the county probate court but so far no response. Is there any other way to try to locate his Will?

Asked on August 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Are you sure that he had a Will?  If he did and it was probated then it would have been filed in the county of the state he resided in at the time of his death. And if they do not have a Probate then check for an Administration, which how you process an estate is when some one dies with out a Will.  Otherwise local or family Lawyers are a possibility. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.