I am to inherit land that has been in my family for years- is it better to inherit, have it transferred to me over a # of years, or maybe a trust?

My parents own a farm that is willed dto me and my sister. Both parents live at home still. I am a nurse and here stories about long term nursing centers taking homes and land. The estate is at least a million$. What is the best way with regard to taxes, nursing homes etc. to inherit and have the land to pass on to my daughter?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An estate like this deserves some serious planning, and the details will have to depend on quite a few facts as far as everyone's situation.  If your parents are willing to talk about this, and your sister is in agreement with your concerns, it would make a lot of sense to consult with an experienced attorney in estate planning, and probably a CPA as well.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Another alternative would be to wait until you actually do inherit the property;  at that point you'd still need your sister's cooperation, or you could sell the farm and do your own estate planning with your share of the proceeds (and any property you bought with the money).

However you go about this, you'll need to have the estate plan reviewed every few years, because Congress tends to change the laws fairly frequently.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.