I am the witness for the prosecution in a DUI case – what happens if I ignore the summons and not go to court?

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Accident Law, District of Columbia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will make the prosecuting attorney, and the police, angry at you, and more importantly, you may be arrested for contempt of court.  It's not a good idea.

If you want more information, or you want to avoid testifying the right way, by moving to have the summons quashed, you should talk to a criminal defense attorney in your area.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.