What to do if I’m the trustee of my mom’s trust and her house is included in the Trust but been being rented out and now we want to sell?

It’s been rented out since she passed away 2 years ago. Will we be taxed on the money we make on the house? Also, we have not filed tax returns on the Trust as there is really only the house and about $10,000 in it. This year there is about $5,000 worth of interest that has been paid on the house. Do we have to file a return?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Estate Planning, Colorado


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Obtain yourself an attorney to assist you in the administration of the trust, and fees can be paid from the trust account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.