What to do about a repossessed vehicle if it was wrongfully sold?

I am the owner of a that was towed by a company 2 months ago. I had the funds available several weeks later. I was told over the phone that the supervisor (who had previously told me she did not care to find out the whereabouts of my vehicle because she was sick) would be in a few days; they ignored my phone calls for a couple more weeks only to tell me that the vehicle had been sold. They also said they sent notifications to myself and to the lienholder which isn’t true. After 30 days the vehicle can be filed on and ownership is given to the company. I am out of a vehicle due to the supervisor saying she was sick. I feel as if legal action must be taken in order to retain my vehicle.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Business Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the mix up concerning the repossession of your vehicle where you were going to pay the arrears to receive it back where you ended up losing it on an auction, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of automobile law to see what legal recourse you have if any. You were required under the law to be notified of the date, time and place of the auction of your vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.