What to do about an alledged conflict of interest at work?

I am the financial officer at a non-profit. As part of my job I produce all employee’s paychecks. My wife was hired to work at an office 24 miles away from the one I’m in (also in a different town and county). While she was training under a 90 day probation period she was injured on the job. My wife was put on leave until a worker’s comp doctor released her to return to work. After being released, the supervisor of her department informed her that her previous position had been filled, but she would be eligible for the position if it became available again. It is now available, however they won’t let her return to work because my printing her paycheck would create a conflict of interest for me. Would this create such a conflict for me?

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your printing of your wife's paycheck would not cause any conflict of interest for you at work. You are an employee with your wife for the same company you both work for. The conflict of interest assertion is a "ruse" to keep your wife from returning to work.

For your employer to not have a position open for your wife after she returns from a work related injury is illegal under the laws of all states in this country. I suggest that you and your wife consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor about the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.