What to do if I’m the executor of my mother’s Will and she has now passed and I need to sell her vehicle?

I have the title but not anything stating Power of Attorney. I understand there is a form I will need in order to sign the title over to a buyer? What is it, and can I get it from any lawyer’s office?

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Estate Planning, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't need power of attorney if you are the executor of her will.  You need to go to your department of motor vehicles and get the proper form. That Department will be able to help you. You need to bring the death certificate along with the will and the documentation showing you are handling the estate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.