If I am summoned to court for graffiti vandalismbut if I ask the property owners to drop the charges and they do, will I still have to go to court?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the owner of the property to drop their criminal complaint against you for defacing their property and if they do, the district attorney's office still has the right to continue on with the case against you regardless.

The reason is that the prosecution represents the people of the state that you live in and the district attorney's office has the obligation and duty to pursue all crimes when the facts and circumstances warrant. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney concerning the charges against you, you should retain one. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.