What are my options regarding visitation if my husband has PTSD?

I am starting to enter into a divorce and am concerned about my husbands visitation with our 22 month old son. My husband is an Iraqi war vet with major PTSD issues. Several hospitalizations and large amount of meds. He is not seeking the help he needs which is why we are divorcing. I am not comfortable with overnight visits or visits of extended time.

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to make the court aware of your fears. Any documentation, etc, that you have to support your concern should be brought to the attention of the court. Assuming the truth of the limited facts given, the court may award you sole custody with your husband having supervised visitation, at least until he seeks treatment. At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area; this could get complicated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.