If I’m separated from my husband and wish to file for divorce, however I’m pregnant by someone else, what is my best course of action?

How does this pregnancy effect my divorce?

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you truly wish to be divorced from your spouse you should consult with a family law attorney to see what your legal options are regardless if you are pregnant with that man's child or not. If the person that you are divorcing is not the father of the child then he is not obligated to pay child support for the unborn child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.