I am selling my house and was recently married, do I change my name before or after the closing of the house?

Live in Georgia

Asked on June 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can change it at either juncture.  You can add a parenthetical that says one name and adds "(also known as______)" to make it expressly clear.  However, you may be better off leaving it in your maiden name if you want it to still be considered separate property.  It's not crucial that you keep it in your maiden name, but it certainly helps keep it clear that you are exercising ownership solely.  If you add your new husband to the title, then this will certainly muddle the asset thereby making it unclear whether it is or is not your separate property. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.