I am required to keep my ex wife on my health insurance plan at work in Massachusetts. As of Feb 1st 2018 the premium portion that I must pay will double. Does my Ex have to riemburse me for half of this increase?

‘The Husband shall continue to maintain his present plan of medical insurance, or the successor plan or the reasonable equivalent of the present plan, at his expense, for the benefit of the wife for as long as she is eligible under the husbands medical insurance plan.

If the Wife becomes ineligible for continued coverage, she shall be offered the option of being covered under any extension of benefits available to her, and the husband should use all reasonable efforts to assist the wife in retaining uninterrupted health insurance coverage. In the event of the remarriage of the wife or the wife’s eligibility for Medicare, the obligation of the husband to provide health insurance shall terminate.’

Asked on January 17, 2018 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I would take your entire agreement to an attorney to review and advise you on what you agreed upon.  But from what you have copied here it says "for as long as she is eligible" and generally under the law you become ineligible when divorced (so that meant you had to keep her on there until you were legally divorced).  The rest of it has to do with COBRA and assisting her in picking it up.  It does not - as I read it - mean YOU have to pay it.  PLEASE seek legal help asap.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.