If I’m renting out my house but I live in another state, am i required to have a property manager?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Legally, no--no law requires property managers.

Practically, yes--your tenant will have issues at times (e.g. maintence and repairs) which are very difficult to resolve from another state. If you can't get the issues resolved in a timely and satisfactory way, you will be in violation of your obligations as a landlord, and the tenant may (depending on the exact facts) be able to withhold rent, treat the lease as terminated by the violation, sue you for compensation, etc. And if you need to take legal action against the tenant (e.g. for nonpayment of rent), you'll need someone local who can go to court--or you'll be driving in from another state for the court date. Generally, having a property manager for a remote landlord is part of the cost of doing business; if you're not making enough to hire a property manager (note: there are many property management companies and some realtors who do this very affordably), it's not worth being a landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.