What to do if I’m renting a room from my sister and her boyfriend and he thinks its okay for him to enter my bedroom at any time he wants to?

He enters my bedroom at any time he wants to whether I am at home or not without asking permission. Since I am paying him rent money is that legal?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not.  It is a violation of your right to privacy.  In a landlord tenant situation - and renting a room creates the tenantcy just like renting an apartment - a landlord can only enter your premises with notice to make repairs or inspect unless there is an emergency.  Now the emergency has to be real: leak, etc. and the inspections can not be invasive or meant to harass.  Speak with your sister and let her know.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your question is not one so much of legality or illegality but rather one of being respectful and honoring boundaries. Since you are a tenant in the unit you share with your sister and your boyfriend, he has no right to simply enter your bedroom without your permission whether you are home or not at home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.