I am receiving harassing calls and letters from my husband’s former coworkers. Can I ask his former employer for help with this matter?

Since my husband’s departure from his previous place of
employment, I have received harassing phone calls, letters,
and communications via social media from anonymous
individuals who only identify themselves as former
coworkers. My parents received a letter as well.
I do know that several people within his department are
aware of this situation, including his former director.
My question is, could I approach my husband’s former
employer for help in this matter. I am being contacted at my
job. I am afraid my children will be contacted next.

Asked on October 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, the employer has no responsibility for phone calls, posts, etc. that its staff make unless they are doing them as part of their job--that is, unless the employer is telling them to do these things, requiring them to do them, etc. Employers are only responsible for what employee's do as part of their job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.