What to do if I my ex has the kids around his brother, who is a convicted sex offender?

I told him I felt uncomfortable with this, and recorded him stating he didn’t care how I felt and would have them around his brother if he wanted too. Is this legal? I am pursing full custody.

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Pursuing full custody does not mean that your ex husband will not have visitation rights and that could include seeing his brother.  So you need to come up with a different plan.  You need to advise the court that he exposes the children to a registered sex offender and that becuase of it it may be in the best interest of the children to have supervised visitation and stay away from overnight visitation.  Get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.