If I’m m pregnant and my child is due the 31st of this month, since the father and I aren’t married, what kind of rights does he have?

From what I’ve read online he doesn’t have any rights until he proves that he is the father. I was wondering if that was correct? Also, if he does that how long does it usually take and from there would we have to go to mediation or would we get lawyers and go to court for custody?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are correct in what you have written. Unless you name the father of your unborn child as the father on the birth certificate, he has no legal rights as to custody or visitation unless he proves via DNA testing that he is the minor's father.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to give you some guidance as to child support, custody and vistation issues that you have written about as well as the costs, protocol and likely outcome besides time factors as to these issues for decision in the court system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.