I am paying on my ex-husband’s gym contract, how can I get out of it?

I didn’t sign it and they don’t have my SSN. However, in the divorce papers I assumed the debt although it has the wrong ammount in the decree. If I don’t pay will I be penalized?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If in your written dissolution agreement and the presumed order of dissolution you assumed your former spouse's debt on a gymn contract, you are unfortunately obligated to pay down this debt even though you did not sign the gymn contract. I suggest that you carefully read the dissolution decree as to the amount that you owe. If the actual debt is less than the decree and you pay it off in full, so be it. If the decree states you pay a certain amount on this debt and you pay it, then most likely you have satisfied your obligation. I suggest that you may want to consult further with a family law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.