If I’m paying alimony and as per the final orders and it was supposed to go down $100 per month starting this month, how do I get that enforced?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the order says you pay $100 less per month, then you could simplly start paying $100 less--that is, pay the amount in the final orders. If your ex-spouse disagrees, he or she could take you to court to get the additional money; in court, you'd have the opportunity to show the court the final orders and get a  court determination  that you indeed should be paying the lesser amount. It would be a good idea to take the money saved by paying less and hold onto it until the issue is completely resolved, in case it turns out that your understanding is wrong and you owe more money. Another good idea is with your first reduced payment, to send a brief cover letter (keep it professional and copy of the final orders, with relevant provision highlighted, to remind your ex-spouse that this is what the court ordered).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.