If I am1 of 28 subpoenaed victims in a criminal trial, can I drop the charges and not testify?

My car was broken into and my purse was stolen. I reported it to the police and 5 months later I was subpoenaed for 2 trials. They are continually postponed and I am petrified to face these criminals and I am need this ordeal behind me. Can I drop the charges and not testify?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you the charges cannot be dropped by you. Rather it is up to the district attorney's office to decide whether or not to pursue the charges against the accused person who supposedly broke into your car and stole your purse. The district attorney's office has the obligation to protect the people of your county in pursuing criminal matters.

If you are subpoenaed to attend trial, you are obligated to attend the trial. Failure to do so could result in an order to show cause issued against you by the court which could cause more problems for you than if you simply attended trial.

I suggest that you contact the attorney who is in charge of the case's prosecution to determine status for the upcoming trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.