Canthe man that I am living withthrow me out like he is threatening to if I am on the lease?

I am on the lease with a man on an apartment. Things have gotten abusive physically and emotionally and I need to time to find somewhere to go. I have nowhere to go at the moment and need some time to figure out what I am going to do.

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, if you are also on the lease, then your co-tenant (the man you are living with) may not evict you. Only the landlord may evict you, and only for not paying rent, for breaching some other provision of the lease, or for one of the things that let landlords evict tenants regardless of the lease terms, such as threatening the landlord, his family, or employees, intentionally destroying the landlord's property, etc. As long as you are not doing those things and are otherwise honoring your lease obligations, you may not be evicted by the landlord--and again, your cotenant has no right to evict it. Note also that even if there were grounds for eviction, you can't simply be "thrown out"--you must be evicted though the courts, which will require proper notice and take a few weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.