If I am on my H1-B visa and I am working for an academic institution and get a job offer from a private industry, can I transfer my H1-B?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Immigration Law, Tennessee


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No you may not. H1bs cannot be transferred. Since your first H1b was not subject to the quota, any new case in the private sector will be subject to the quota. There are currently no H1bs left. You cannot file until next April with a start date of 10/01/2013.

Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

H1's are never transferred despite a popular belief - you must get a new one. And if your original H was excempt from the quota originally - you fall under quota, unfortunately...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.