if I’m on house arrest and I have to work out of town over night for my job, is there anything I can do to still work and keep my job?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You'll need to contact the court or the officer for the court (like a probation officer-- if they are managing your "house arrest"), to see if you can be released for a limited trip for employment.  The final decision will be up to the judge.  If you leave without first getting the judge's permission, you can face additional penalities... so don't risk bigger issues by violating this condition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.