Can I rent out my house and collect rent legally if I’m on H1B status?

I am on H1B status. My employer wants me to work at a different location starting next month. I own a house here where I am working now. I might come back in a year. My plan is to rent out my house for a year. I have hired a property management company to search for renter, collect rent and take care of all services and repairs. This will be only short term ( 1-1.5 years). I will sell it off when I am sure that I am not moving back.

Asked on February 8, 2016 under Immigration Law, Idaho


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, because this would not be considered work/income but passive income much like investing in stocks and reaping the benefits of any increase in the stock share price.  You should be fine with that arrangement and it should not impact on your H-1B status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.