What to do if I am currently on an F1 visa and would like to file for asylum?

I am on PhD and this program takes 5 years. The length of my visa is 1 year but my I-20 is issued for another 5 years. The question, if I file asylum and my case was not strong enough to get approved and leave USA for vacation and apply for visa outside the US to re-enter to finish my PhD, at that time would my visa application struggle or not?

Asked on August 31, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You are in need of private attorney assistance and analysis of your particular facts and issues. Do contact a knowledgeable private attorney who will be happy to help you. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. Immigration and Visa law is federal law, so any knowledgeable licensed attorney may assist you. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666





FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to file for political asylum in the United States, I suggest that you consult with a reputable immigration attorney to see what the chances of success are and your legal options. The question that you have asked is simply to big to answer in a short response. There are attorneys that practice immigration law in your area that can be looked up through attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.