If I’m on F1- OPT visa masters in electrical engineering, can I start my own business legally in the US?

If so, what industries can I choose doing business for and, if not, what is the legal process of starting business?

Asked on September 16, 2015 under Immigration Law, Rhode Island


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can work on your own self employed while in OPT but you will not be able to qualiy for a work visa once your OPT EAD expires so you will need to look for other options as well if you will want to remain in the US once that happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.