What to do about visitation with a grandchild?

We raised our 14 year old grandson for most of his life. His mother lost custody of all the kids to social services. Our oldest grandson (whom we raised) had to move out of state with his father (he’s only seen him 3 times) but we were not part of the court process and don’t have formal visitation rights. We can not afford an attorney.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with your local legal aid clinic, law school or county bar association to see if any of these organizations have a program to afford assistance to you in possibly filing a petition with the court seeking some semblance of visitation with your grandchild.

Some states have statutes allowing grandparents to have some visitation rights with a grandchild.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.