What should I do if I am not being paid by my employer on time?

I am on H1B Visa and my employer deposited a check for my pay for 4 month’s ago only last month and did not gave me my pay slip for that time period. I also get pay from the following month late. When I call my employer, he says he will send the payslips “today or tommorow” but he never does. He does not respond to my emails. What should I need to do to get my pay and payslips on time? Can I file a complaint to Department of Labor? My company (employer) is in another state; I am working in a client location.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely should call the department of labor in the state in which your employer is located and also the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  Your Visa status should have nothing to do with your employer committing state and probably federal wage violations.  If the agencies don't help you, you need to contact an employment attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.