If I’m 19 and received was arrested for shoplifting under $50, will mentioning that I am joining the military to the judge possibly reduce my sentence?

I am planning to join the Air Force and a record will make this very tricky, especially because my field (cryptolinguistics) requires a security clearance. I am a first-time offender. I go to court this month.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A Judge cannot reduce the charge without an agreement by the prosecutor.  It is possible, however, for a prosecutor to agree to an deal which keeps the matter off your record with some type of Stay of Prosecution.  That is the precise reason why you should retain counsel,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.