If I’m the named executor of my mother’s Will but due to health reasons it is impossible for me to serve, can I refuse?

Asked on February 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can decline to act as the executor of your mother's will; I hope your mother has an alternate named to be the executor; if not then someone else in the family could petition to act as an executor; if no one is available, then a petition in probate court , for the appointment a financial fiduciary could act as the executor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.