If I am married to US citizen butmy application for permanent residence was denied, is there any way I can get driver’s license?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on what your current status in the US is (is your I-94 expired, etc) and what is the reason for the denial of your application for adjustment of status on the basis of marriage.  If you are now out of status and unlawfully present (i-94 expired) and the adjustment of status has been denied, you may actually have removal proceedings started against you.  If your application has been denied but you are submitting motions to reopen/reconsider, etc. during that time, you should be allowed to get your driver's license.  You need to provide more details about the specifics of your situation and perhaps it might be a good idea for you to consult with an immigration attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.