What to do if I am looking to begin my online e-commerce business within the next couple months selling a specific cosmetic item?

I have already registered the domain name. The next step would be for me to register the name with the state and also applying for a trademark. I have a permanent address (where my mother resides) however I am temporarily living in an neighboring state because of my job location. I plan on moving within the next 6 months; however I am not sure exactly to where as of yet. Needless to say I do not have a specific home base at this time but would like to get the legalities of my business out of the way. Which state do you suggest I register my (online only) business?

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Register in the state in which you anticipate living and conducting the business. Contrary to popular myth, there is actually very little to choose among the states in terms of business regulation, and you'll end up paying taxes where you have your operation anyway, so you may as well go for the slight gains in convenience that come from being registered where you will conduct operations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.