If I’m living in a house that is in both mine and a friend’s names, can she make me move out so that her son can live here?

I don’t want to go.

Asked on November 1, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Absent some sort of threat to the other co-owner's well being, one owner cannot make make another owner vacate a jointly owned premises.
The fact is that, under the circumstances, if you wanted to you could file for "partition". This is a legal remedy employed when 2 owners of jointly owned real estate cannot agree as to ownership matters. Accordingly the property will be "partitioned"; that is divided if it is practical to do so. However, in the case of a single family home, that can't be divided the court will instead force a sale of the property at fair market value with the proceeds to be equitably divided.
Perhaps, at this point, you should consult directly with a local real estate attorney as to your rights/remedies under applicable state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.