If I’m living in a home via owner financing but the owner has not used my “rent” as agreed to pay off the mortgage, etc, what can I do?

It is all legal, on paper, through a lawyer, etc. I give them a payment of $450 a month which (is supposed to, anyway) covers doubling the mortage, the taxes, and the insurance. I found out today that the owner of the house has not paid the real estate taxes, even though I have been paying my “rent”. Never late, never missed a payment. I am very angry about this because I want to know, if he didn’t pay the taxes, where is my money going? What exactly should I do here? Call the lawyer who wrote up our rent-to-own agreement? Something else?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, call the lawyer about the fact that they have breached the contract and discuss what exactly your options are here.  You can sue to be let put if there is a breach but you need to discuss what you wish for as damages: the protion back that would have gone to owning (becuase renting has a sum attached to it as well)? Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.