I am liable for my 18 year old’s car accident ?The insuance says the limits have almost been met for medical bills for the other person.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are the owner of the car he was driving at the time, you probably can be held liable, although it isn't quite automatic in most states.  I'm not a Wisconsin lawyer, and the law and procedure can be different from one state to the next, and I don't have all the facts.  The details might matter, so you need to have the entire situation reviewed by a lawyer in your area, for advice you can rely on.  One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

In most states, if you allow someone to use your car, you are liable, along with the driver, for an at-fault collision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.