Should I get a lawyer for an upcoming court date if I’m charged with misdemeanor trespassing?

I am charged with trespassing after receiving a warning for returning to a football game after being ejected.

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Misdemeanor trespassing is not the crime of the century, but it never hurts to have an attorney help you walk through the criminal justice process, work for a better deal, or to get you access to alternative sentencing options.  If you are not concerned about it being on your record and you feel comfortable handling your affairs, then you may not want an attorney.  Another option is to show up to the first setting, just listen to what the prosecutor has to say (but make no statements to them about your case), and then make a decision on whether to hire an attorney.

If you are concerned about your criminal history, then you would benefit by having an attorney present.  Some government agencies will disqualify you from consideration for employment even with a misdemeanor.  It just depends on the employer or the agency.  If you don't have much history, an attorney may be able to get you into a diversion program where you will not have a final conviction on your record-- or bargain for some other alternative sentencing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.