If I am in the US on a student visa and a US girl wants to marry me, is that possible?

If yes, then what is the process?

Asked on October 30, 2013 under Immigration Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can marry an American citizen in order to get American residency on a permanent basis. The process is as follows:

If you are a US citizen and are planning to marry a citizen of another country (a foreign national), or are from another country and are planning to marry a US citizen, the procedure to obtain permanent residency in the US for the international spouse is described below. Foreign students and scholars are welcomed and encouraged to consult with ISSO staff about the steps and timing of this procedure.

In our local area, the procedure can take 6 - 12 months from the time the petition is filed until the international spouse becomes a permanent resident of the U.S.. Once he or she becomes a U.S. permanent resident, s/he will continue to travel on his/her home country passport, so it is important that the name on the passport and the final I-551 permanent residency card be identical.

Note: This process is called "adjustment of status to permanent resident," and is not the process for becoming a US citizen; that process is called "naturalization." If you are married to a US citizen, you are eligible to go through the naturalization process after you have been a permanent resident for three years. You are not required to go through the naturalization process; few occupations require US citizenship. However, as a citizen you have the right to vote and to hold public office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.