Will we have any problems if I am in US on a H1 visa and married to a US citizen in India nut wedid not register the marriage here and now want to divorce?

I am in US on a H1 visa and married to a US citizen in India legally. We have not registered our marriage in US still as we were staying in different states and wanted to move to the same place before starting the paperwork. But now my husband has filed for a divorce in US. Can there be complications to this, as we do not have our marriage registered in US.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The question here is if there is a requirement that the marriage be registered here in the US to be valid.  It is with out a doubt an option for you to register your marriage in India and I am sure that it is preferable.  You may in fact have to show some documentation as to same when filing the divorce papers.  What worries me here is that you are here on a work visa, correct?  Have you ever applied for a green card and citizenship as a result of the marriage?  Because the divorce may have an impact on your status and filing.  Please seek legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.