If I am in middle of bankruptcy and my attorney has disappeared, what do I do?

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should notify the bankruptcy trustee in writing that your attorney has disappeared and inform the trustee that you will need additional time to find another attorney.

You should also contact the State Bar of Connecticut and file a complaint against your attorney for client abandonment.  The attorney will be subject to discipline by the State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.