If I’m in a verbally abusive situation but have not started a divorce process, am I able to move out of state with my child or would it be considered kidnapping?

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is not kidnapping; especially if you obtain a restraining order against this person for you and your child. You are moving so I would ensure you begin the process of divorce by consulting with an attorney in the state in which you will be living to see if a) which would provide a better option for you in terms of support payments and separation of assets and debts in general and b) if the better position is in the new state, how long you need to be living there to establish residency.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.