If I’m having some physical problems that are making it difficult for me to do my job, what are my rights if I ask for some kind of modified work duties?

These have to do with obesity and knee problems. I don’t know if these will be considered a “disability”. My company is a non-profic organization that has an “at will” employment policy. My fear is I will be targeted for being fired at some point.

Asked on November 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, in order to be entitled to an accommodation under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), an employee must work for an employer with 15 or more employees or a state/local government, must be a person with a disability as defined in the ADA, and must need accommodation because of their disability. However, an employer can deny an accommodation if providing it would cause the them an undue hardship.
Here is a site that will provide further information:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.