What can I do if I am going to court for a citation for theft?

The item was $20 and I returned it to the store. As far as I have been told that the city has not adopted petty theft laws so I can face up to 12months in jail and $2500 in fines. I am trying to see legal information on how to approach this when I go see the District Attorney this week, and what I can expect for theft with a lesser vaule when I returned the item. The only thing I have ever been in troulbe for was an OUI but I was not driving I was sitting in a parked car and I completed my diversion for that about a year ago. What is the likelihood I can do another diversion with the municipal court?

Asked on August 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you could be sentenced to jail and fined if convicted of the crime that you have written about, I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney (private) or the county public defendant for help before you go to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.