If I’m going through a divorce but now my husband is not cooperating, what can I do?

I recently filed for a dissolution of marriage with minor children and filed for joint custody because that is what my husband and I verbally agreed to. He never responded and did not attent the parenting program that I am aware of. I continued the process and asked for a default hearing. They are asking me for information on income to establish child support, and he is refusing to give me any information. They asked for me to make sure I have a parenting plan which i can have ready but he is not cooperating in order to get it signed. What can I do at this point since he now does not want to ?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I don't know what kind of time table you are operating under, so I don't know if this is practical, but one way to get information in a civil matter, including a dissolution, is called the discovery process.  This is explained in Rule 51 of the Arizona Rules of Family Law Procedure.  Of course, you could change gears and go for full custody; that might spur him to make an appearance.  You also might want to consult a local family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.