If I’m getting a divorce and owned my house before my spouse moved in and now she refuses to leave, what are my legal options to get her out of my house?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whose name is on the deed, until a divorce is finalized, the house remains the "marital residence". This means that both parties have a right to occupy it. In some limited circumstances, the party seeking to live in the residence can file for a writ of possession to obtain sole possession, ; however courts are reluctant to issue them. Also, if one of the parties has put the other in fear for their safety, the can get an emergency order of protection; this will also give them the right to exclusive possession.

For further information pursuant to specific state law, you can consult dierectly with a divorce attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.