I am from Washington and got a speeding ticket in California, can I still do community service plus traffic school?

It is within my reach to do community service in California and traffic school. Can it be possible, without getting a California license, to do these things in California? I will meet the judge in September 20th.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it is possible that when you show up in court in California concerning your traffic matter that the court could allow you to do traffic school and/or some community service work in California as a penalty for what happened. It all depends upon what the judge wishes to do. You do not need a California license for the request you want assuming you have a valid driver's license from another state in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.