If I am from the UK and starting a school here in the US next summer, how to go about getting a work visa rather than changing to a student visa?

I have been offered a job just a already I want to stay in the US and work for a year before I start school. I am don’t have any visa at the moment or a SSN and I just don’t know where to start. I intend to stay in the US after I have finished school.

Asked on September 7, 2013 under Immigration Law, Indiana


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. In a situation such as you describe, generally, the visa you seek is subject to annual quotas and those quotas have been reached for this year. Please view the travel.state.gov website for details. I urge you to have private attorney help in seeking your goals. Do contact a private attorney who will be happy to help you. Immigration and Visa law is federal law, so any knowledgeable licensed attorney may assist you. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily




SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately the work visa, if you already have at least a bachelor's degree, is subject to an annual quota and that annual quota has already been reached for the year starting on October 1, 2013 so the earliest a new work visa petition could be filed on your behalf would be for the following year, starting on October 1, 2014 and that petition can be submitted to USCIS no earlier than April 1, 2014.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.