If I’m from the UK and my son will be born to his American mother in the US in 6 weeks, is there any basis on which I can emigrate to be with them?

Asked on December 15, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot immigrate on the basis of your son being born in the US.  You can only immigrate on the basis of a valid family-based petition (through a spouse for instance) or on the basis of a valid offer of employment from a US employer.  Once you have a job offer, you can get the employer to petition for your work visa first and eventually a green card (permanent residence).  If your son is about to be born to its American mother, are you about to get married to this woman once your divorce in the UK is finalized?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.