If I’m filing Chapter 7 by myself, how do I list my medical bills?

I owe the same hospital $5000 – $500 to EMS, $1000 to radiology and the rest for my hospital stay. They came to me in different bills but it is the same hospital. Do I include the whole amount or I file each amount separately?

Asked on January 26, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be best to list each creditor seperately if you are unsure as to how to list the amount(s). Additionally, since filing for bankruptcy can be a confusing and time consuming process, you may want to consider getting legal representation. However, if you still choose to represent yourself, here is a site that you will find to be of help:


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Although all of your medical treatment was provided at the same hospital, since the bills came separately, radiology and EMS may have been provided by service providers outside the hospital.  Check the addresses on those bills to see if they are different than the hospital.

It would be prudent to list those creditors separately if you are uncertain if they were provided by service providers other than the hospital.  

List all these debts on the schedule (bankruptcy form) for unsecured debts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.