What to do if I am facing a wage garnishment from a vehicle repo last year?

I had a bankruptcy discharged about 2 1/2 years ago. My husband and I have been together 14 years but only married 3 years. He is considering filing bankruptcy and I wanted to know if I could submit his case number to my employer to stop the garnishment? He was not a co-signer on the vehicle but I will be referenced in his filing.

Asked on March 19, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your husband's bankruptcy will not stay a wage garnishment on you.  You would have to both be filing the bankruptcy together.  If the garnishment is imposing a hardship on you, you may be able to get the amount withheld reduced from 25% of your non-exempt earnings to a smaller percentage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.