I am executrix of my sisters will. I would like to resign and appoint my neice as executrix.

My neice lives in the town and I live 4 hours away. Can I do this to help speed up everything.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly resign, but you probably don't have the power to pick who takes over.  If the will has one or more alternate executors named, that would come first.  Otherwise, the other heirs under the will might not agree.  If they do agree, though, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, and probate law and procedure can differ somewhen between states.  For advice you can rely on, based on the details of your situation, please talk to a lawyer in your area.  One place to find counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.